- Explain the grep command used for searching a pattern with any 4 options.
- How to start and stop OpenSSH?
- Discuss the privileges of Linux administrator.
- Explain the standard file descriptors with suitable commands.
- Describe the following commands: chown, chmod, expr.
- Explain the cut command.
- Write a note on commands for disk space management in linux.
- Write a shell script to accept a filename. Check if the file exists and display the number of lines, words, and characters in the file. Display an appropriate message if the file is not present.
- Explain the pipe feature in Unix with examples.
- Write a note on the contents of the etc/passwd file.
- Explain sort command with any three parameters.
- What is the role of linux kernel in linux OS?
- Explain the system memory management function in Linux.
- What is a boot loader? Write a note on Grub or LILO.
- Which commands are used for creating and maintaining user accounts in Linux? Explain with examples.
16 What are the duties of a system administrator?
- What is meant by “monitoring and tuning performance” of a linux system?
- Explain the following commands with examples: ls, rm, cp, mv, chown, chmod.
- Which are the different file systems supported by Linux? Which feature of Linux makes this support possible (Virtual File Systems Layer)?
- What are memory and virtual file systems? Explain any three (CRAMFS, RAMFS, PROC).
- Write a short note on linux file permissions.
- What is meant by Linux disk management? How can the user see the current file system and disk partitioning details on a Linux system? (fstab)
- Write a note on system shell configuration scripts. What purpose do they serve? Explain the following: BASHRC, CSH, CSHRC.
- What are CRON files?
- What is the SYSLOG.CONF file?
- Write a short note on Network File System. What are its advantages? What are its disadvantages?
- Is IP address of a device the same as its MAC address? What are the differences between these two addresses?
- What are network classes? State their IP number range. Explain the role of router.
- Explain how a network interface card (NIC) is setup on a Linux system. Explain the ifconfig command.
- Explain the purpose of the following files: /etc/hosts.conf, /etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf
- How are IP addresses extended through subnetting?
- Explain the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP).
Connecting to Microsoft Systems
- How can computer systems using Windows operating system communicate with Linux systems? Explain the role of Samba in this process.
- How is Samba installed on a Linux system?
- What is SMB? Which OS uses this?
- What is an Internet Service? Name 5 commonly used services.
- Write a note on ssh (secure shell), scp (secure copy) and sftp (Secure File Transfer Program).
- Write a note on telnet, ftp, rsync, and rsh. Why are these services called insecure services?
- Write a short note on finger, talk and ntalk. Are these services secure or unsecure?
- Which are the common server protocols available on Linux?
- Write a note on xinetd. How is it different from inetd?
Domain Name System
- What is DNS? Why is it necessary? What are top level domains? Give 3 examples of TLDs.
- What are the different types of domain name servers?
- Explain the following terms: mail user agent, mail transfer agent, and local delivery agent.
- Write a short note on SMTP, POP3, and IMAP4.
- What steps can be taken to maintain email security?
Configuring a Web Server
- State the features of Apache web server.
- Explain how web servers work.
- What is SSI? What are the advantages of using SSI? How is SSI enabled on Apache web server?
- What is a secure web server? What are its components? Which packages are needed to create a secure web server?